DPC watchdog violation (error code: dpc_watchdog_violation) error on your windows desktop. if you are using windows computer especially windows 8 / 8.1 and windows 10 you may know about the DPC watchdog violation error as it has been becoming one of the most common errors in the windows platform.
What Is DPC Watchdog Violation Error?
DPC watchdog violation (error code: dpc_watchdog_violation) is a common issue in the windows operating system. it’s occurred due to some specific reasons like unsupported ssd firmware old ssd driver version hardware incompatibility issues or system files are corrupted. if you are using an ssd on your windows computer the first thing you need to check is the firmware version of the ssd and make sure it’s up to date.
Related Article >> 5 Way To Fix Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry High Disk Usage Issue
How To Fix DPC Watchdog Violation Error?
i have suggested a few ways to the readers to fix the same problem.
Method-1 > Update Firmware Of Your Solid State Drive
i would recommend you download the latest firmware version of it from the manufacturers website and update your ssd sometimes your windows can’t handle your ssd correctly until the firmware is updated.
To Find Out The Model Number Of Your SSD Follow The Step:
- STEP-1 > press windows + e to launch file explorer.
- STEP-2 > look at the left sidebar right-click on my computer and choose manage.
- STEP-3 > in the computer management window look at the left sidebar and choose device manager.
- STEP-4 > from the list of disk drives you can find out the type of ssd you are using and the model number.
- STEP-5 > after determining the model number of ssd go to the manufacturer’s website search for the new version of firmware if available then download and update your ssd.
Related Article >> What Is CTF Loader (ctfmon.exe) And How To Disable It
Method-2 > Check Corrupted System Files On Your Windows
corrupted system files are one of many reasons. in order to fix the dpc_watchdog_violation error on your windows computer you should check and verify windows system files to make sure they are not corrupted.
- STEP-1 > open the command prompt program with administrative.
STEP-2 > next in the command prompt program window
- type: chkdsk c: /f /r and then press enter.
STEP-3 > the currently drive c:\ is using by the windows system that’s why the “check disk” process can’t start.
- it will ask you to schedule the checking in the next time when your computer reboots. if you agree type y and then press enter.
- STEP-4 > after that restart your computer.
- STEP-5 > your windows computer will be rebooted and start to verify the system files.
- type the following command in command prompt.
- sfc /scannow and then press enter.
- it will automatically scan and fix errors in your windows system. wait for the process is completed and then restart your computer.
Related Article >> What Is Service Host Superfetch? How To Fix It
Method-3 > Remove All Connected External Devices
disconnect all external devices that plugging in your windows computer. devices removed and the problem is gone then definitely one of those devices causes the error to determine which one caused the bsod error connect one by one device at a time to check.
Method-4 > Choose The Correct Controller
you can change the sata ahci driver to solve the dpc watchdog violation error.
- STEP-1 > press windows key and x key.
- STEP-2 > select device manager from the menu.
- STEP-3 > find and expand the ide ata/atapi controllers.
- STEP-4 > choose the sata ahci controller and right-click it.
- STEP-5 > select properties from the pop-up window.
- STEP-6 > go to the driver tab and then click drive details.
- STEP-7 > make sure the iastora.sys is listed as a driver. then click ok.
Method-5 > Update The Driver
- STEP-1 > press windows key and search.
- STEP-2 > select the device manager from the menu.
- STEP-3 > click update driver and choose update driver.
- STEP-4 > choose to browse my computer for driver software.
- STEP-5 > choose to let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
- STEP-6 > choose standard SATA ahci controller and click next.
- STEP-7 > restart your computer.
Related Article >> What Is IDP.Generic? And How To Fix IDP.Generic
What Is A DPC Watchdog Violation Error?
DPC watchdog violation is a type of error occurring in your windows system. DPC is the abbreviated form for the deferred procedure call. watchdog denotes bug checker. the bug checker helps monitor all windows processes as well as the background performances. the violation message appears when bug checker waits for a longer duration than normal such as over 100 microseconds. if bug checker does not find a response, it will show the error message.
if you know any other way to fix the dpc_watchdog_violation error in windows please leave us a comment and we respond as soon as possible.